There is an urgent need for implementing fibre based broadband connections in rural areas in the near future to guarantee the delivery of services like care or primary education.
The use of broadband applications in rural areas is now seen as the most promising and growth creating development for the next decade.
The European Commission has recognised that Member States will need to make significant investment in broadband infrastructure to meet the objectives set out in the Digital Agenda for Europe (DAE).
When broadband infrastructure with almost unlimited capacity such as FTTH (fibre-to-the-home) is available to everybody, as shown in the Vejen (DK) case studies, the opportunity for the introduction of new services is limitless.
User stories in this category (Key projects)
All projects in this category See all projects
Tools used in this category
- ENGAGE_good_practices, high speed broadband (good practices High Speed Broadband in Rural Areas) - pdf
- http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/digital-agenda-europe (Objectives of the Digital Agenda for Europe)
- http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/newsroom/cf/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7630 (best practice example ‘The Midtsoenderjylland Project’ from Vejen, DK)
- Guidelines to future fiber based broadband networks
- Business case model
- SWOT analysis, Vital Rural Area, Vejen Kommune, Denmark
- Guide to Broadband Investment - DG Regio (2011)